Why Giving Back Is Important

Why Giving Back Is Important

Why Giving Back Is Important

“If you’re in the luckiest 1 percent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 percent.” – Warren Buffet
Read  Time: 3 Mins

We all know that financial freedom and financial independence are great goals. But, one of the best things we decided to do early on in our marriage was to decide that giving back was important to us.

We decided early on that we would give back at least 10% of our money to our church or other causes we care about.

Whether you give to your church or to a person in need, it is important that you learn to give back with your money.

As Albert Einstein says, “The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving.”

A lot of times people say that tithing is important because you will receive a reward in return for giving, but this should not be the reason we give.

Ultimately, it is important to give because we are called to give.

Yes, the giver often does benefit. We benefit by feeling good about ourselves for being selfless and giving.

We each have points in our life when we need help. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. I bet you can remember a time when someone helped you when you were in need.

Whether you are involved in a church or a local charity, giving back is our obligation.

Giving is a great way to be apart of something bigger than yourself.

If you’re thinking about how you can give, here are a couple of places you may want to consider giving back to:

  • Your Home Church
  • Your companies charitable giving program
  • A local or national organization fighting to end world hunger or the world’s water crisis
    • Compassion International, World Vision, Charity Water, Water.org
  • A family member struggling to make ends meet
  • Your local homeless shelter
  • A local non-profit

There are several different ways to give back. The beauty of giving back is that you get to choose to give to something that you are most passionate about.

Giving back doesn’t always mean giving money. Volunteering can be just as valuable.

I can assure you that once you begin this process, you will know that you are making a lasting difference in your life as well as others impacted by what you contribute and you won’t regret it.

If you’re interested in finding the best charities to give back to, I recommend using Charity Navigator to look up an organization before you give. They are an outside evaluator that rates and compiles a lot of great information about organizations.

What’s your favorite cause that you’re giving back to or volunteer with? Share in the comments below so others can learn more about how they can give.

PINTERST IMAGES - Why Giving Back Is Important

About the Author Jen

Hi, I'm Jenna. I like writing about relationships, money, and life! I help manage the FreeUp social media when I'm not writing blog posts. I enjoy playing music and conquering new workout routines. I also love reading about personal development and can be found at any given time of day, singing out loud the latest song that's stuck in my head.

follow me on:
  • There are so many great ways to give back to the community, whether it’s through a local community project or giving money to your favorite charities. Thanks for sharing!

  • Dani says:

    We LOVE to tithe too but our faaaavorite charity to donate to is the Oklahoma Cystic Fibrosis Foundation ♡♡♡

    • Zack says:

      Dani! So great to see you on the comments 🙂

      I don’t know much about Cystic Fibrosis but I’m going to look it up now that you mention it!

      Thanks for sharing!

  • >